Elimite cream is used for treating scabies.
How to use
Use Elimite as directed by your doctor.
- Thoroughly massage into the skin from the head to the soles of the feet. It is not necessary to put the medicine on the scalp except in children and older patients.
- Remove the medicine by washing after 8 to 14 hours.
- You may experience itching after treatment. This is not a sign of treatment failure. However if living mites are seen after 14 days, retreatment is necessary.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Elimite.
Drug Class and Mechanism
It works by killing the scabies mite (Sarcoptes scabiei).
If you miss a dose of Elimite, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor.
Store Elimite between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Elimite out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Do not use Elimite if:
you are allergic to any ingredient in Elimite.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
- Elimite Cream is for external use only. Do not use it near the eyes or allow it to come into contact with the inside of the nose, mouth, or genitals. Irritation may occur if Elimite Cream comes into contact with these areas. If Elimite Cream gets in your eyes, flush with water immediately.
- Elimite Cream should not be used in children younger than 2 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Elimite Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Elimite Cream is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while using Elimite Cream.
Possible Side Effects
Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- itching; mild burning or stinging; redness; swelling.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
Elimite is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.