Has been used to treat high blood pressure and reduces the risk of stroke.
How To Use
Take Hyzaar exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take Hyzaar during or after the meal
- It is recommended that you drink extra fluids while taking Hyzaar
- Hyzaar may increase the amount of urine or make you urinate more often, when you have just started taking it. Try to take the drug before 6 pm to prevent this from disturbing your sleep.
- If you take cholestyramine or colestipol, please consult your doctor or pharmacist about how to use them together with Hyzaar
- Continue taking Hyzaar even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose
Mechanism of action
Hyzaar is a combination of angiotensin II receptor antagonist and diuretic. Angiotensin II receptor antagonist works by relaxing blood vessels. It is unclear exactly how the diuretic works decreases blood pressure, but it helps the kidneys to remove sodium from the body.
If you miss a dose of Hyzaar, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Store Hyzaar at the temperature of 77 F (25 С). Short-time storage at 59-86 F (15-30 С) is allowed. Keep away from heat, humidity and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Use Hyzaar strictly as directed by your doctor.
Consult the physician if there is no progress or if the symptoms intensify.
Do not use Hyzaar if:
- You are allergic to any of its ingredients or any other sulphanilamide-containing drug (e,g, sulphametoxasole)
- You are pregnant
- You have severe liver or kidney disorders or difficulty urinating
- You are taking dofeltilide or ketanserine
Contact your physician immediately if any of these points applies to you.
Important Safety Information
- Do not drive if it’s the first time you have taken the drug
- Tell your physician if you feel dizzy or faint. Risk of dizziness or fainting may grow if you have diarrhea, vomiting, excessive sweat, do not drink enough water or have a low salt diet
- Patients taking drugs for hypertension often feel fatigue. The medicine is to be taken even if you feel unwell
- Hyzaar may make you sunburn easier. Avoid sun and sun lamps unless you know how your skin reacts to the sun after taking the medicine. Use sunscreen or wear protective clothes
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Hyzaar before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care or surgery
- If you have hypertension, do not use stimulator-containing over-the-counter products. These products may include pills or drugs for cold. Contact the doctor if you have any questions or problems.
- Your physician can also prescribe you potassium supplements. If so, follow the prescribed dosage. Do not use potassium supplements or increase their dosage while you are taking Hyzaar, unless your physician has told you to.
- Diabetes patients - Hyzaar has the potential to affect blood glucose levels. Check blood glucose level. Consult your physician.
- Hyzaar may increase blood sugar levels. High blood sugar level may cause confusion, somnolence or thirst. It may also cause increased breath rate or cause your breath to smell of fruit.
- Hyzaar does not decrease the risk of stroke or some heart disorders in patients with high blood pressure.
- Hyzaar may affect the results of some lab tests, including the parathyroid function test. Make sure your physician and the lab staff know you take Hyzaar
- Lab tests including renal function, arterial pressure and blood electrolytes may be conducted while you are taking Hyazaar. These tests may be used to control your condition and may detect the side effects
- Hyzaar should be used carefully in children, safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Hyzaar may be the cause of congenital defects or death of the foetus if taken during pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. Hyzaar is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Hyzaar.
Consult a doctor immediately if any of these most widespread side effects persist or gain frequency:
- Back pain, diarrhea, dizziness, especially when standing or sitting, nausea, numbness or skin tingling, fatigue
Consult a doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reaction (rash, hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or language); pain in the chest; mental confusion; decreased sexual ability, decreased urination, depression, somnolence, fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat, fever, chill or continuous sore throat, hoarseness, muscular pain, morbidity or cramps; skin redness, swelling, blisters or desquamation, unrest; attacks, severe or continuous dry mouth; breathlessness, swollen arms or legs, unusual bruises or bleeding; unusual thirst, unusual fatigue and weakness, vomiting, yellowing skin or eyes.