Tofranil 75 mg
180 pills - 75 mg
90 pills - 75 mg
60 pills - 75 mg
30 pills - 75 mg
Tofranil 50 mg
180 pills - 50 mg
90 pills - 50 mg
60 pills - 50 mg
30 pills - 50 mg
Tofranil 25 mg
360 pills - 25 mg
180 pills - 25 mg
120 pills - 25 mg
90 pills - 25 mg
60 pills - 25 mg
30 pills - 25 mg
Tofranil is a tricyclic antidepressant that is used to treat the symptoms of depression and help patients elevate their mood.
Mode of application
Tofranil can be taken by mouth with or without food. Take it for the entire duration of treatment preferably at the same time everyday. (At bedtime to reduce side effects like daytime drowsiness)
Do not stop without consulting your doctor. The best way to use the drug is as recommended by your doctor.
Mechanism of action
Tofranil is a tricyclic antidepressant. It works by increasing the activity of certain chemicals in the brain that help elevate mood.
If you miss a dose of Tofranil, take it as soon as possible. If it occurred while taking your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you take 1 dose at bedtime, do not take missed dose the next morning.
Tofranil is stored at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit (20 and 25 degrees C). Keep away from heat, moisture and light. Keep Tofranil out of reach of children and away from pets.
Discuss with your doctor about any prior medical condition that you may have including allergies to medicines, food or other substances, if you have a history of heart problems, seizures (eg, epilepsy), overactive thyroid, glaucoma, prostate problems (eg, benign prostatic hypertrophy [BPH]), blood problems (eg, porphyria), other mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts or attempts, or alcohol abuse
You must not take:
- if you are allergic to any ingredient in it or you are allergic to any ingredient in Tofranil or to other tricyclic antidepressants, you have certain prostate problems (eg, asymptomatic prostatic hypertrophy), glaucoma, or trouble urinating, you are taking clonidine, an H1 antagonist (eg, astemizole, terfenadine), or ibutilide, or you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, furazolidone, phenelzine, isocarboxazid) within the past 14 days.
- If you are pregnant or suspect that you are, then stop using Tofranil and contact your doctor immediately.
- It is unknown whether Tofranil is secreted in breast milk. Avoid breast feeding while using the drug.
Certain drugs can interact with Tofranil and hence, mention clearly to your doctor or pharmacist all medicines, dietary supplements and herbal prescriptions that you are taking, especially any of the following.
- Azole antifungals (eg, fluconazole), cimetidine, duloxetine, flecainide, methylphenidate, mibefradil, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), propafenone, quinidine, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or terbinafine because they are known to increase the side effects of the drug.
- Arsenic, astemizole, droperidol, furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), pimozide, streptogramins (eg, dalfopristin), terfenadine, or tramadol
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) or phenytoin
- Anticholinergics (eg, benztropine), carbamazepine, or sympathomimetics (eg, phenylephrine)
- Clonidine, guanethidine, or guanfacine
Some of the common side effects of are Appetite loss, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excess sweating, headache, heartburn, increased appetite, indigestion, nausea, unpleasant taste, urinary retention, vomiting, weakness, weight gain. Please contact your doctor if the symptoms persist or become bothersome.
Other severe side effects include allergic reactions (rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue), abnormal movements, aggressive or bizarre behavior, agitation, anxiety, blurred vision or other vision changes, chest pain, difficulty speaking and swallowing, disorientation, eye pain, fainting, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat, hair loss, hallucinations, hostility, irritability, loss of balance, mood swings, nervousness or restlessness, panic attacks, ringing in the ears, seizures, shakiness, sore throat or fever, trouble sleeping, twitching of the face or tongue, unusual bleeding or bruising, yellowing of the skin or eyes.
You must seek medical attention immediately if any of these side effects occur.
Tofranil should be used only on prescription.
If symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, consult your doctor.