Zetia is a hypolipidemic drug. It is used to treat high blood pressure.
How To Use
Take Zetia as directed by your doctor.
- Take Zetia during or after the meal.
- Take Zetia at the same time each day.
- If you are also taking bile acids’ sequestrants (e.g. cholestyramine, colesevelam, kolestypol), do not take them 4 hours before or 2 hours after taking Zetia.
- Continue taking Zetia, even if you feel good. Do not miss any doses.
Mechanism of Action
Zetia is antihyperlipidemic agent. It works by reducing the level of cholesterol or other sterols your body absorbs from your diet.
If you miss a dose of Zetia, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missing dose and return to your normal schedule. Do not take 2 doses at a time.
Symptoms of Zetia overdose are not known but it can be harmful.
If you experience one of them call your doctor immediately.
Store at the temperature of 77 F (25 C). Brief storage at temperature from 59 to 86 F (15 to 30 C) is allowed. Keep away from heat, humidity and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Do not use Zetia, if:
- You are allergic to any of its components
- You have moderate to severe liver problems.
Contact your doctor immediately if any of these points applies to you.
Important Safety Information
- Do not drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks unless you know how you react to the drug.
- For better result Zetia should be combined with physical exercise, low cholesterol, low fat, as well as weight loss programs, if you are overweight. If you have inexplicable muscle pain or weakness, consult your doctor.
- Laboratory tests, including liver function, cholesterol, can be done while taking Zetia. These tests can be used to monitor your condition or help to detect the side effects.
- Zetia should not be used in children younger than 10 years, the safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: If you got pregnant, consult the doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking the drug during pregnancy. It is not known if Zetia is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while using Zetia, consult your doctor.
Consult your doctor if any of these most common side effects or stored into trouble:
- Diarrhea, dizziness, headache, joint pains, sinus inflammation, sore throat, abdominal pain, fatigue.
Consult a doctor immediately if any of the serious side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reaction (rash, hives, itch, difficulty breathing, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue), chest pain, dark urine, inexplicable muscle pain, morbidity or weakness, yellow eyes or skin.